Friday, July 15, 2011

Book Review


I read ALOT..thank goodness for the library..I am a constant visitor there. So I thought I might start sharing some of my fav. reads of the moment.

I just finished reading "The Distant Hours" by Kate Morton and it was one of the best reads I have had in a long time. It's a big book, 500+ pages and has an awesome cast of characters. The story twists and weaves and just when you think you have it all figured out another "bomb" drops and everything changes. I love her descriptive writing style and she has become one of my fav. authors. Here is a short write up on the book.



"Edie Burchill and her mother have never been close, but when a long lost letter arrives one Sunday afternoon with the return address of Millderhurst Castle, Kent, printed on its envelope, Edie begins to suspect that her mother’s emotional distance masks an old secret.

Evacuated from London as a thirteen year old girl, Edie’s mother is chosen by the mysterious Juniper Blythe, and taken to live at Millderhurst Castle with the Blythe family: Juniper, her twin sisters and their father, Raymond.
In the grand and glorious Millderhurst Castle, a new world opens up for Edie’s mother. She discovers the joys of books and fantasy and writing, but also, ultimately, the dangers.

Fifty years later, as Edie chases the answers to her mother’s riddle, she, too, is drawn to Millderhurst Castle and the eccentric Sisters Blythe. Old ladies now, the three still live together, the twins nursing Juniper, whose abandonment by her fiancĂ© in 1941 plunged her into madness.

Inside the decaying castle, Edie begins to unravel her mother’s past. But there are other secrets hidden in the stones of Millderhurst Castle, and Edie is about to learn more than she expected. The truth of what happened in the distant hours has been waiting a long time for someone to find it . . . "

I am one of those people who always end up jumping to the end of a book to see if I was right because I get bored of the story. Never happened with this book. So if you like historical books with a twist and turn..try this one out!

2 comments:

dellartist said...

This looks like the kind of book I would love. Thanks for sharing. I love reading books that friends have recommended - they are always the best!

Rosebud Collection said...

This sounds good..I will have to look for it..I enjoy reading and have many books..Years ago, my dad wrote some titles,for me to read. I was never a great book reader, when young..He would tell me.."If you would just start reading, books are like a good friend". His words are always in my head and I have to agree..
Thanks for the review..
Hope all is well with the animals..
xooxCarolyn/Rosebud.